Strata....by Susan Lenz

The "Strata Series" was inspired by the cross-sectional profiles of the earth. The resulting series was worked on water-soluble fabric in free motion machine embroidery. The series was SHORT LIVED. Thus, this blog is a place to BURY blog posts....in the cross-sectional profiles. It functions as a support area for my "main" blog which is Art in Stitches by Susan Lenz.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Artificial Flowers


 

Artificial Flowers

2010
37” x 22”

All the flowers came from my many dumpster diving trips to local cemeteries. After retrieving the blossoms from the trash, I dissected each one....discarding the plastic and wire....leaving only the fabric. I washed them, lay them flat to dry, and separated the tiniest flowers into separate plastic bags. I knew I wanted to stitch some of these smaller flowers on an art quilt but I needed a good reason.  This epitaph was perfect:  On Earth a Bud; In Heaven a Flower. My stash of artificial flowers is now quite enormous.  Every blossom, every petal was brought to a cemetery as a token of remembrance but later tossed away.  Artificial flowers from cemetery dumpsters have lead me down several fiber avenues, including winning the top recycling award at Wearable Arts in British Columbia and creating my only performance art piece called Ophelia.  For that, I wore a red wig and lie in an antique, claw-footed bathtub full of flowers as if the drowned Shakespearean character who died for the love of Hamlet.  I love these flowers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home