Strata....by Susan Lenz

The "Strata Series" was inspired by the cross-sectional profiles of the earth. The resulting series was worked on water-soluble fabric in free motion machine embroidery. The series was SHORT LIVED. Thus, this blog is a place to BURY blog posts....in the cross-sectional profiles. It functions as a support area for my "main" blog which is Art in Stitches by Susan Lenz.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Forever


 

Forever

2011
22” x 26”

During the summer of 2011 I rummaged through the plastic tub in which I keep my grave rubbings, I found one without words. It was just the two heart shapes, flowers and leaves, and a place for a name above ... in brown crayon. (I rarely ever make an impression of people's names.) I don't remember making this rubbing ... which cemetery ... for what idea ... or when ... but I liked it. So, I didn't put it back in the tub. It sat around my studio for about a week until a good idea formed.

Then, I went to Elmwood Cemetery. It's only about three blocks from my house. It was surprising how long it took to find our names ... both of which are rather common ... and the years of our births (looking for smaller than average sized numbers). It was peaceful though. It was hot, above one hundred degrees.  This might be the only tombstone Steve and I will ever have.  (We plan to be cremated.)  It only seemed fitting that the grave rubbing be combined with a bridal gown.  I already had two in my stash.  Why?  Well, I created an installation called I Do / I Don’t using eleven old wedding veils.  When scavenging thrift shops and auctions for the veils, I had two occasions where I was forced to purchase the entire bridal ensemble.  One dress was undoubtedly more beautiful than the other.  Parts of the dress were recycled into the background, trim, and the entire reverse for this art quilt.  In fact, the reverse took longer to create than the front.  Why? Well, I decided that the gorgeous beading had to be used.  It took hours with a seam ripper to remove the complicated, bead-and-lace appliqués. I wanted these to have a little contrast with the pretty brocade fabric ... so I also tea stained the material.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home