Strata....by Susan Lenz

The "Strata Series" was inspired by the cross-sectional profiles of the earth. The resulting series was worked on water-soluble fabric in free motion machine embroidery. The series was SHORT LIVED. Thus, this blog is a place to BURY blog posts....in the cross-sectional profiles. It functions as a support area for my "main" blog which is Art in Stitches by Susan Lenz.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Killed Instantly


 

Killed Instantly

2009
25” x 24”

As a Girl Scout, I remember selling artificial poppies on Veteran's Day to benefit the VA hospital.  The vintage doily was badly damaged but absolutely perfect to be combined with the words of a distraught family.  I couldn’t help but to think that this man would have really preferred to be remembered differently, not just for his tragic death.  This early piece triggered many thoughts about the words selected for graves. As a result, I started collecting epitaphs and really honed in on the concepts behind this series.  This piece also includes a unique piece of fabric for a background.  It was once a black curtain in an office space next to my studio.  Over the years the sunlight severely damaged the curtain, turning it the perfect, distressed and often streaked color needed for my series.  Look around!  I used every scrap of that curtain.  My only regret is that I only grabbed one curtain.  There were two others.  I left them behind … because I hadn’t started this work when I rescued that fabric!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home