Strata....by Susan Lenz

The "Strata Series" was inspired by the cross-sectional profiles of the earth. The resulting series was worked on water-soluble fabric in free motion machine embroidery. The series was SHORT LIVED. Thus, this blog is a place to BURY blog posts....in the cross-sectional profiles. It functions as a support area for my "main" blog which is Art in Stitches by Susan Lenz.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Milestones




Milestones
2010
44” x 37”

An artist friend wore this wedding dress during her first marriage ceremony. She donated it to me for my artwork.  My friend is a very small framed marathon runner. The tea-length dress is likely a size zero....unless there's a size even smaller. The grave rubbings were meant to signify the stereotypical life markers in a woman's traditional life: Born, married, died. The veil includes these words as well as the title "Wife". They were free motion stitched on a water soluble stabilizer which was washed away. I'm not cynical about marriage or life and death or conventional role models.  The words include "Beloved Wife and Daughter". My personal hope is to be remembered in both these capacities. At the same time, I'm also hoping that I'm remembered for my art, for my personal uniqueness, and as an individual apart from convention.  This piece has been included in several juried exhibitions.  My statement for it is:   Mrs. Margaret Tobin Brown, aka “The Unsinkable Molly Brown”, once described her husband as the type of man who thought a woman’s name ought to only appear in the newspaper upon birth, marriage, and death.  She did not agree and women’s suffrage issues were among her many philanthropically works.  One hundred years later, much has changed but not so much that the milestones of an ordinary woman’s life aren’t still marked by these three occasions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home