Strata....by Susan Lenz

The "Strata Series" was inspired by the cross-sectional profiles of the earth. The resulting series was worked on water-soluble fabric in free motion machine embroidery. The series was SHORT LIVED. Thus, this blog is a place to BURY blog posts....in the cross-sectional profiles. It functions as a support area for my "main" blog which is Art in Stitches by Susan Lenz.

Friday, November 6, 2015

My Epitaph Quilt


 

My Epitaph Quilt

2009
48” x 46”

Who am I? How would I like to be remembered? What legacy do I intend to leave? What personality traits define my actions?

These are among the questions I had to ask myself in order to create this very personal work. I've read thousands of epitaphs. I've free-motion embroidered hundreds onto sheer chiffon banners.  There are over 1200 in my Book of the Dead. Still, it took weeks to sift through these ideas until I came up with the right phrases and a plan for their inclusion on this quilt.

Artist. Child of God. Honest. Passionate Soulmate. (I love you Steve) Embroiderer. In Awe of the World. Industrious. Mother of 2 Miracles. (Mathias and Alex)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home